The countdown to Christmas has begun. Many folks are scurrying around to find the perfect gift to purchase. Stores are frantically vying for your dollars. Many of us are trying to complete those handmade gift projects by Dec.25th. But (myself included) sometimes we forget, everyone has the most valuable and grandest gift already at hand. Our time.
Stop, slow down and take a moment to ask each other. What is more giving than the gift of oneself? Easy answer~nothing. Our time and commitment to a loved one or a stranger is worth more than all that can be attained from a sales flyer ,gift card or online coupon.
Here are a ‘bakers dozen’ of wonderful and easy ‘gifts of time’ ideas to share this holiday season and throughout the coming New Year:
- Send a handwritten greeting card to a senior inviting them to lunch.
- Plan a movie or game night with your children or neighbours.
- Visit a senior at a assisted living facility.
- Spend a few minutes each week face to face with a neighbour.
- Offer to take a seniors photo and give them a print.
- Make 5 Homeless care kits and hand them out. (kit includes warm socks, coffee gift card,travel size:soap,toothbrush/paste,handwipes,deodorant.)
- Take a Sunday drive in the country with your family,include hot chocolate stops along the way.(no cell phones allowed)
- Invite your neighbours for an afternoon outing to a local kid friendly farm.
- Hand write a heartfelt letter to your teen and send by postal mail.
- Hand write a letter to your spouse once a week and send by postal mail.
- Offer to do a yard chore for a military family.
- (Are you musical?) Offer your local senior center a hour/afternoon of live music and play for them.
- Say hello and smile to a stranger everyday.
There are oodles of generous gift ideas. What other ‘gifts of time’ would you like to get/give for Christmas this year? Share your ideas below.
Disclaimer: No stipend or favor was received for this post or from any links mentioned above.