It’s finally finished! The black and white print blouse has been deconstructed and refashioned into a versatile smock with pockets. I love it! Recall my previous post about this wonderful nostalgic look print- Read it here.
The only dilemma I encountered was what to do with the armholes and neckline after removing the sleeves and collar. The fabric weight was light enough to try a scalloped edge and I’m glad I did. It turned out better than expected. Using Thread Magazine’s post “3 Neat Edge Finishes” as inspiration helped give my upcycle project a cute detail. I also found a new use for the satin stitch on my machine!
Here is a closer look at the scallop edge. I used two different colors to get the black and white affect.
Tip- Use a wash-away stabilizer and then apply fray check .
Using another upcycled smock I did a few months ago that was a good fit as my template made this task even easier . The only element I’d do different next time is lowering the gather just a bit. I left the buttons on this one and used the leftover sleeves to make the pockets. I trimmed the pockets with some ribbon and sewed them on at a slant.
This is my new favourite top to wear out-n-about even in cooler fall weather. Looks fab layered with either a black or white turtleneck. So next time you see a blouse you love that’s too big for you, don’t pass it by. Upcycle it!
Disclaimer: No stipend or favor was received for this post or from any links mentioned above.